Re: American dialect of Brithenig

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Padraic Brown wrote:

> Right.  If they concentrate on taking and holding New Orleans, the
> interior is cut off and more or less up for grabs.  Are you sure they
> could have "swamped" Louisiana in the late 18th century?  I don't think
> the US could have done that *here*.  Where are they all comming from?
> There are no highland clearances (what with an independant Scotland) and
It was the Scots who pushed for the clearances, at least at a certain
social and economic level.  There was more money in large scale
sheep-farming than small tenant-based crofting.  Don't blame London; the
Scots did that one to themselves!

> the Let-It-Be attitude towards Ireland doesn't seem to cause enough
> agitation there to trigger a mass exodous.  Or did they clear the Slums of
> London and Caerleon? :)

Benign neglect is not the same as New World opportunity.

On a plus side helium extraction for airships may have become more widely
available in the 1930s *there.  *Here, the Americans refused to share the
technology with the Germans which lead to the Hindenburg disaster.
*There, well, perhaps - London commands...

- andrew.
--
Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

	Lo! thy dread empire, Chaos! is restored;
	Light dies before thy uncreating word:
	Thy hand, great Anarch! lets the curtain fall;
	And Universal Darkness buries All.
			- Alexander Pope, The Dunciad, Book IV.