Re: American dialect of Brithenig

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, John Cowan wrote:

> The American dialect of Brithenig is orthographically just like
> the standard language, but has differences in phonology (which I
> will discuss) and lexis (which I will not).  It comes in a Northern
> flavor spoken in the province of New Castreleon, and a smaller
> Southern flavor spoken in the province of Ter Mair.  This discussion
> is pan-dialectal.

Wiw Ter Mair!  Only please god they don't have to talk like stereotypical
Mrl@ndrz *here*. ;)

> American Brithenig (AmBr) has "the same" phonology as American
> English (which is not the same as American English *here*, of course).
> Therefore, ll and rh are pronounced like l and r respectively.
> (I believe this is also characteristic of Brithenig in Ill Paes?)

Yep.  And down into eastern Duneint.  A quick lesson:

Brithenig: eo Afgar, rhui Eddes, salyd Iesu Crist, ill salwadur bon, ke es
a Ierosolem. sa es ddith ke dy san all pobl seint lla fedigen e seint llo
llyf.

Paesan: eo Avgar, ruy l'Eddess, salud a Iesu Crist, il salwadur bon, que
es a Ierosolem.  saes theuú que thu sans al pobel seynt la vedigen e seynt
lo llyfs.

Glastein: eo Avgar, rhuy la Eddess, salud al Iesu Crist, el saáluadur bon,
que as al Ierosolem.  saas zigud que du sanes al pobel seynn la vedixen e
seynn lo foil.  [Here ll and rh have the Kernu values hl and hr.]

Padraic.