Re: CHAT: Preaching

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Lars Henrik Mathiesen wrote:

> > I suspect it may turn out to be 'pregethar', or it may not.
>
> LL praedicare --- where does the -g- come from?
>
>From praeceptum.  Brithenig, like Welsh, has the words pregeth, sermon;
and pregethur, preacher.  I now have the dilemma of deciding whether 'to
preach, preaching' should be modelled on Welsh, and use the neologism
pregethar, or imitate other Romance languages and use preddigar.  The
second does have the appeal of being more mischievous and confusing!

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus                       hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

        Lo! thy dread empire, Chaos! is restored;
        Light dies before thy uncreating word:
        Thy hand, great Anarch! lets the curtain fall;
        And Universal Darkness buries All.
                        - Alexander Pope, The Dunciad, Book IV.