Re: CHAT: The centre of the temporal universe, was Translation relay

Andrew Fferreir wrote:

> It immediately made
> sense to me that in the North American League of Brithenig history no city
> would be laid out like Washington is here.

I agree.  The God's-eye figure-it-out-from-first-principles viewpoint
arrives when people feel free of the past, which is a consequence
of conceptual revolutions like the American and the French.
The American Revolution *there* was more of a rebellion
against Parliament, and the French revolution essentially a Jacquerie
writ large.

BTW, the First Citizen of the French Republic is a relabeled
elective monarch.  But then the King of Poland and Lithuania
is an elective monarch, too; in principle the Diet can dismiss
him at any time, but somehow they never do.

The General Moderator of the N.A.L. 1960-1968 was Jowcko map
Jowcko, son of a Kernu immigrant.

> I also found out that in the alternative history of the Brithenig speakers
> the third greatest domed building in the world is the Cathedral of Saint
> Mary in the N.A.L.  There is a joke hidden in that last sentence and I'm
> not going to explain it!

Oh, please, do!

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org