Re: Brithenig in NZ?

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Kristian Jensen wrote:

> Just a thought that occured to me. Being from NZ yourself, have you
> ever thought of making a Brithenig offshoot language spoken by
> Brithenig settlers in NZ? I'm not full acquainted with the Brithenig
> timeline, but I can imagine that like the British Empire from our
> universe, the Brithenigs had something similar with a colony in what
> is in our universe NZ. The settlers there then developed their own
> distinct language, much like the Boers of South Africa developed a
> distinct language of their own - an offshoot of 17th century Dutch.

An interesting thought.  I guess it would be a post-Creole language like
Afrikaans or Brazilian Portuguese.  It would mean that the history of NZ
would be different.  Something happened that the colonial Chomro of NZ saw
themselves and their language as separate from the group it originated
from.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

"Orcs eat Hummers."