Re: [conculture] CHAT: con-this'n'that

From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>

Lars Henrik Mathiesen scripsit:

> > The inch-pound measurement system and the pounds/shillings/pence currency
> > have remained standard throughout Europe, though hopefully at least the
> > former has been the subject of international standardization.
>
> "Remained?" When did you say the timelines split in continental
> Europe?

About 1550.  What I meant was that neither money nor measurement became
decimalized, except (briefly) in France.  The meter went the way of the
Republican calendar.

I don't know whether it was the Troy or the avoirdupois pound that
took over: all I'm fairly sure of is that there is a single
international non-decimal measurement standard, perhaps complete
with an international standard platinum-iridium livre in Paris.
Money probably remains chaotic.

[many fascinating details snipped]

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org