Re: Orthography

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> Ok - I note Andrew will be away till the weekend, so I haven't rushed on
> this one.  But I have an unexpected bit of free time now so I'll just state
> my position for what it's worth.

So it's about time Andrew got around to replying....
> [FINAL SOFT G & C]

Favour appears to go to marking final soft affricates with an accent.  I
will go and look at the character lists for html and report back.
> [V & F / F & FF]
>
> But if I'd "done a Brithenig" I suspect there'd be other differences.  But
> _please_ don't misunderstand me.  I am *NOT* criticizing Andrew in any way.
> I'm darn sure that if any single one of us had done this first, there'd
> been some differences; of course there would.

Naturally there would be differences.  Compare Brithenig and Kernu.  Same
ideas, different results.  No slight was intended or reciprocated.  There
is still dialect variations to play with if anyone wishes to try.

> I think Andrew & I seem to be at one on this.  Our own _personal_ choices
> seem to be {v} and {f}.  However, Andrew adopted the modern Welsh
> convention since (a) the same handwriting habits that evolved *here* have
> been assumed to have evolved *there* and in both cases remained as it
> became regarded as an 'established feature' of the language and
> distinguished it from their Saxon neighbours.

The touch of the exotic appealed to me.  We'll let it stay there.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus 			hobbit@earthlight.co.nz

"Break someone's leg."
			- Old Orc Saying.