Re: ConLang Related: Christmas (was: Country Related: Christmas

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Eric Christopherson wrote:

> Andrew Smith wrote:
> > FFELIG NADELIG (and MERRY HOGSWATCHNIGHT)
>
> Why does Brithenig keep the g in ffelig hard? Wouldn't it have been
> hard in Vulgar Latin period? Or did this develop differently in
> British Latin?
>
> And what is Hogswatchnight? :D

Your basic Midwinter holiday...when the Hogfather comes into the country
and leaves gifts for the wee tykes; folks get togather for a nip of ale
(and perhaps some applejack); there's tale telling, dancing, the
inevitable perpetration of Folk Music; a good time had by all. :-)

> Also, you mentioned Emperor Arthur before. I assume he existed only in
> conhistory. Was this an emperor of either the Roman or Holy Roman
> Empire? Was he from Britain?

The Emperor exists in many histories.  *Here* he was a petty Celtic or
Romanobritish warlord, as mentioned in another post.  *There* he was a
great hero who united the Romanobritons against the Saxons et al.; and was
instrumental in the unification of the northern Comro and the southern
Kerno, who call him "King over the Britons, One and All".  Political union
would take place some ceturies later, but was welcomed cheerily in large
part due to these earlier connections.

I don't know where the term "Emperor" Arthur comes from specifically,
though must undoubtedly be a Comroig usage or idiom.  (As there is only
one Emperor, and that was in Comstantinople.) ;-)

Padraic.