Re: A new translation exercise (was: lexicons)

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Irina Rempt wrote:

>       When my great-great-grandfather was a young man, he travelled
>       out into the world. First he went west; there was only sand
>       there. Then he went north; there was only snow there. Then he
>       went east; there the mountains were too high and
>       great-great-grandfather couldn't climb them. At last he decided
>       to travel south, on foot, on horseback, by cart and by boat. In
>       the south he saw the largest city in all the world.

Can mew oiol syrchwegl er yn of iewen, ys idraf affor in ill mun.  Prif ys
gweddif punent; sa er sulfent lla aruin, ll+a.  Affos ys gweddif clig; sa
er sulfent ill niw, ll+a.  Affos ys gweddif llewent; ll+a llo font h-erant
tan di allt e oiol syrchwegl llo h-yscalarew rhen.  Di'll ffin ys digiddef
idrar druith, a sew ddewphedd, a ddors yn cafal, di'll car e di lla farch.
In ill druith ys gwiddef lla giwdad ran in ill mun.

Done it!  And I found out new idiom doing it too.  In Brithenig a
great-great grandfather is an 'over-old grandfather', with a great
grandfather being 'old'.  On foot in Brithenig translates as 'on one's
two-feet'.

On to the next one....

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus                       hobbit@earthlight.co.nz