[conculture] Kemrese Money Matters

From: Padraic Brown <pbrown@polaris.umuc.edu>

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Andrew Smith wrote:

[re Cambrian money]
> We think it works in sixes and twelves rather than decimal and everyone
> can hardly wait for when the Ewro comes in!

Back last summer, we had some chats concerning the money and stamps and
things used in Kemr.  The system was found to be pounds/shillings/pence
(like predecimal England); and which generated the above comment, which I
have thought about more in the last couple of months.

I've been thinking on this, especially since *here* the Euro is a done
deal now.  I am of the opinion that most western European countries
*there* are still using their own verions of LSD; as this was the accepted
system in Britain, France, Italy, much of Germany and Switzerland.  The
reason being: the splitting away of the North American colonies did not
seem to produce a violent revolution, nor a new country without ties to
the old.  (John can correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression that
the colonies became independant countries that recognised the Crown; or
some such.)  At any rate, there was no mucking about with the money, which
remained LSD rather than becoming decimal.  The various reforms made
during the French Revolution (decimal money, decimal calendar, decimal
measurement) were all done away with after a while; leaving no long
lasting decimal descendants.

Any of the monetary unions that may take place in Europe *there* (e.g.,
the Latin Monetary Union of the late 19th to early 20th cen., which did
happen *here*) would probably be based on the well known common system.
Though, just like *here*, the units would be equalised, so that the
Italian, French, etc. pounds will have the same value.

My further guess is that the Federated Kingdom would probably _not_
participate in this union for the same reasons the United Kingdom are not
participating now.  I.e., their money is worth more, and don't really want
to be bothered towing the poorer countries along.  This is only a guess,
based on what's been conjectured about FK economics thus far.  (Anyone
with better knowledge of why the UK decided not to participate in the Euro
is welcome to correct me!)

If such a thing comes to pass *there*, one can only hope that the design
criteria of the notes and coins are not as restrictive and curtailed as
*here*!

Has anyone else considered economic systems, and the cash that goes with?

Padraic.