Re: shopping list's too long...

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Carlos Thompson wrote:

> I guess in the alternative history Brithenig is in Italians could exists and
> come to salame/salami and show those salty sausage to the world.  But would
> saxons come to "vegemite" and "weet-bix", and make them important to translate
> them into Brithenig?

Yes there are Italians; and it is for that reason why I would suggest that
salami remain the same:  this particular food is not "native" to Cambria
(where Brithenig is spoken), and I believe the name ought to be
transferred with the food.  Just like here in the USA we borrow everyone
elses food (paella, borscht, or whatever) but don't bother to come up with
US names.

Since Vegemite and Weet-bix are both proprietary names; they too ought to
go into Brithenig (reasonably) unchanged.  Assuming that the inventor of
such foods is an English speaker, of course.  If the inventor is Brithenig
speaking, then an Appropriate Brithenig-sounding Corny Trade Name will
have to be devised.

Padraic.