Re: vulgarisms

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Eric Christopherson wrote:

> > mab car! lit. dear boy! = English _boy!_
> "Boy!" is an obscenity/insult?

More of an exclamation rather than a vulgarism, inserted as an example of
a colloquialism to fill out a list.

> Who is this *Mahaves?

Correctly it should be *Mahaveh which has been pointed out is more
accurate a derivation from the Hebrew verbstem HWH than the divine name
"Yahweh".  I posited *Mahaves as an adaption of the verbal noun into a
biblical latin.  Since suggesting a hypothetical verbalnoun is a name for
the patron deity of the Conlang list-conculture is nonsensical I did not
resist making the name sound more high-falutin'.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith, Intheologus                       hobbit@earthlight.co.nz
Life is short, so am I!