Re: North American affairs

>I have figured out the names and affiliations of the colonies in
>North America as of the end of the Seven Years' War:

My history is not good enough to know the details of this war.

>Newfoundland (English)
What happens to Hudson Bay or Labrador?

>New Scotland (Scottish)
Nova Scotia?!

>Canada (English/Kemrese joint administration; 95% speak French)
Lower Canada I guess.  I have been debating that it might be spelt with two
consecutive nns in Brithenig (from Kannata)

>Massachusetts Bay (English)
>Connecticut (English)
>New Hampshire (English)
>Rhode Island (English, many other nationalities)
>Castreleon New (Kemrese, many Dutch and English)
Originally Niew Nederland?  Would the Pilgrim Fathers have ended up there?
*Here* they sailed from Devon, but I don't think the Kemrese or Kernow
authorities would have been very sympathetic to Puritans *there*.  I do
allow new to be used first in Brithenig placenames (? New Gastreleon)
>The Jerseys (English)
>Pennsylvania (English/Kemrese joint administration;
>        Pennsylvaanisch is also an official language, spoken by 40%;
>        colony is called "Pennsylvanien" in German/Pennsylvaanisch).
>New Sweden (English)
>Ter lla Fair (Kemrese; most inhabitants are Guddelic)
>Virginia (English)
>Carolina (English)
>Hendrica (English; many other nationalities)

An interesting collection of names for the New Englander and Southern
colonies.  For the British royal succession I had been using the Stuart
dynasty, including the pretenders after the Glorious Revolution.  With this
in mind I would query where Virginia came from.  Hendrica could be named
after Henry VII (*here* the pretender Henry IX, the Cardinal King).  I
guess there are enough Maries in British history for Ter Mair (why the
article before a proper noun?).  I like the idea of plaatdeutsch surviving
in Pennsylvania, and I think good King Charles II would be jolly enough to
permit a Protestant Quaker Colony *there* as well.

Solemn League and Covenant?!  High Scottish Protestant emigration I take it?

A brief skim of historical references I have collected has found that Sir
Francis Drake also came from Devon.  I have mentioned to Padraic the
possibility of the early Kemrese explorer and privateer, Don Ffrencisc
Pendragon!

- andrew.

smiff@es.co.nz