Re: Breathanach page

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:

> As far as I know, only Brithenig and Breathanach have been put into the
> web.  Kernu is paper only; I don't know about Brzhoneg's status.  There
> are Yscaws and a couple of various southern Brithenig dialects (Paesan is
> one, I forget the name of the other), but not much has come of them,
> either.

I had to look the dialect names up: Paesan la Prowencea is a variant of
Brithenig that is spoken in Duneint, and is very closely related to the
Standard language.  Glastein falls within this dialect region, so Church
business is conducted in Paesan.  This variety of Paesan is the
southwestern extension of the dialects spoken in Ill Paes, and has invaded
northeastern Duneint.  Sorbadu is a variant of Paesan spoken in eastern
Duneint, along the border with Merry Old England.  It is more influenced
by the local Dumnonian dialects than is Paesan, but is still very clearly
Paesan in nature.  All the other dialects spoken in Duneint are based upon
the local tongues that go back centuries and centuries: Kernu, Dunnu,
Belgeu and Dewru.  Kernu and Dunnu are essentially the same language, but
have peculiar differences.  Belgeu and Dewru are separate languages.
Somewhere around I have a text or two written in two of these dialects.

Padraic.