Re: Breathanach

Geoff Eddy wrote:

> > All of which suggests to me a three-vowel system in reduced
> > syllables:  [@] written A EA AI E; [E] written EI, [I] written
> > I IO.  What do you think?
>
> It's possible, but not very likely given that this assumes that all back
> vowels fall together, while front vowels remain distinct.

Good point.  Well, EI I IO could fall together as a high central
vowel like i^/a^ (pronounced the same) in Romanian.

> At present I'm considering a vowel system with
> seven vowels, five short vowels and two diphthongs in stressed
> syllables, and six vowels in unstressed syllables.

Sounds awful complicated.

> I remember sending Sally Caves a pronunciation table of Irish spellings
> some time ago; I assembled it from several sources. I'll send you a
> copy, if you want...

Please.

> Finally, one of my main problems with Breathanach has always been
> knowing how much I'm allowed to make up. There are several sound-changes
> (such as final -nt > /nn/) which could have happened but don't reflect
> what actually happened in Irish; however, I don't think that evolving
> Irish from Classical or Vulgar Latin instead of Proto-Celtic would be
> particularly rewarding. Do you happen to know how much of Brithenig is
> invention on Andrew Smith's part, rather than speculation?

Asking Andrew would probably be more fruitful, but I know there is a large
non-systematic element in it.  E.g. I invented the word "cafurn" for
"cave" before I understood Brithenig sound changes; he told me it
should be "cawern", and I retorted that this particular word had been
reshaped under English influence --- and he bought it!  "Cafurn" it is.