Re: unabridged names

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Christophe Grandsire wrote:

>  |n as a 'n' followed by the same semi-vowel -like in 'new'-,

Not all of us anglophones pronounce this word alike; that is, many
pronounce it /nu/ (rhymes with stoo and goo).  Some have a 'w' semi-vowel
tacked on the end /nuw/; others have a 'y' inserted /nju/; yet others have
both semi-vowels present /njuw/.  I assume you mean the palatalised 'n'
like in 'espagnol', though.

On the whole, it's probably best not to say that a sound in your conlang
"sounds like this in English" unless you're prepared to specify which
English dialect/variant/creole/etc. you are targeting.  Better still would
be to use some class of phonetic alphabet (which I'm in the preocess of
learning; therefore the above pronunciations may not be entirely
correct!); which has the advantages of standardisation and confusion
reduction.

Even so, another really nice naming system!

As far as I know, the Brithenig system isn't half so exciting.  I think
it's essentially "Christian name-middle name-surname"; for example Cynedd
Geory Llewan (Kenneth George Cowan).  I could be wrong in this.

There are some areas of the country where a system based upon the Roman is
still in use, though: "Christian name-clan name-second name-tribe name";
for example Gerontios Pomponio Britannicos Dumnonio.  Many people tack
'Romanos' (Citizen of the Roman Empire) or 'Britanniccos' (Citizen of the
British Province) on the end of their names.  If greater specificity or
formality be required, then one can insert "son/daughter of X,
grandson/granddaughter of Y": Ambrosius Ferrario Tigernos mappos Patricci
neppos Severi Cornovio Romanos.  One is generally referred to using only
the first two names: Ambrosius Ferrario.

Padraic.