Re: Rromei-Geldyghei lyngvei (Roman-Celtic langs)

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:

> I have found Malcolm MacLennan's "Gaelic Dictionary" somewhat helpful for
> etymology.  I'd say about 30 to 40% of the words I've looked up give an
> Old Celtic form which I can then check out in Dottin's "Langue Gauloise".
> Not a perfect system, perhaps, but sufficient for the desired substrate of
> Celtic in Kernu.

It's a good resource, but it means that some of the celtic words that have
been preserved in Brithenig are Goidelic rather than Brythonic.  Lla nien,
'daughter', has been culled out as a Gaelism, although toir, to like,
still survives.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                    <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>

MAN, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many
accomplishments; still owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil
and the fact that it rains.
                                                           - Anonymous