Re: Rromei-Geldyghei lyngvei (Roman-Celtic langs)

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Frank George Valoczy wrote:

> Dhlegebam dhlidleros yn Rromis-Geldyghis lyngvis, et tandem swm parotws
> moztrrore lyngvam ydhle fazherebam, Brzhonegh.
>
> (I read the letters in Roman-Celtic languages, and finally I am ready to
> show the language that I made, Brzhonegh)
>
> The grammar is not yet finished, but it's solid engough to make a few
> simple sentences.  As one might guess from the name, it's based on
> Brezhoneg; lexically it's mostly Latin.
>
> Phonology:
>
> Vowels:
>
> a  e  i  o  u  y  w
>
> a, e, i, o are as in Breton
> u is like Breton (/French) 'ou'
> y is like German 'ue'
> w is like Breton (/French) 'eu' [German 'oe']
>
> Consonants:
>
> b, k, g, m, p, s, j are all as in German
> zh is like s in pleasure
> f is the voiceless counterpart of English 'w'
> v is the same as English 'w'
> gh is voiced velar fricative
> dh is voiced interdental fricative
> l, t, n, d are always dental
> r is frictionless continuant like in English
> rr is trilled
> sh is like in English
> rzh is like Czech 'r-hachek'
> dhl is voiced alveolar lateral fricative (voiced Welsh 'll')
> dl is voiced alveolar lateral flap
>
> Stress is always on the next from last syllable.
>
> m, s, n and rzh can be syllabic.
>
> I'd like to know how other Celticonlangers have treated consonant
> mutation; Breton has it absolute word initially.
>
> Any comments?

Welcome from one of the other RomanoCeltic conlangers here!  Andrew
Smith's Britheig and (my) Kernu, a Brithenig dialect, have consonant
mutation of various sorts.  We haven't yet entirely worked out where the
Brithenig stress should fall, but word final seems a likely contender.
Your language looks pretty neat!  Tell us Celticonlangers more about it!
Perhaps we could share ideas, experiences and the like.

Benwenid, Verenc, di lla principtad di Gemr! /
Benweneth, a Fherench, dela prenciptat le Komrow (e la prowencea le
Kernow)!

> -------ferke
> Ferenc Gy. Valoczy
>
> personal page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/7482/
> railways page: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/3976/
> conlang page: http://members.tripod.com/~tuonela/
>
> -Oblast je morda nesimpaticna, a edina nesmrtne pot miru in stabilizacije.
> (Laibach)

Padraic.