Re: CELT: Spoken Conlangs

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Sally Caves wrote:

> So, Andrew and Padraig, if I understand this aright as I'm gradually
> absorbing this, Brithenig has its own timeline and alternate universe?
> How far back do you go?  What do you do with beloved Arthur?  Is there a
> Taliesin? any other ancient Cambrian bards?

Arthur is remembered as Ill Imperadur and Test ill Dragun, back in a
glorious golden age just before the establishment of the Principality.
There is no evidence that the royal dynasty is related to Arthur, although
Paternus and Arthur may have been near contempories.  The Matter of
Britain may have evolved to resemble the Matter of France as it became a
myth of kingdom-building than a myth of national resistance.

Bardd is the common word in Brithenig for poet.  They are widely admired.
Probably every pupil is forced to read Taliesin, Girallt, Gioffri,
Dylan...I haven't broached this part of Brithenig's history.  I'm no poet,
the only piece of poetry I ever wrote was:

Don't wanna see round corners
Don't wanna travel faster than light
Doing fifty in the pouring rain
And my window ain't watertight  (any one for a translation exercise?)

Actually I once did a poem at school in the style of James K. Baxter but I
can't remember that.  So I'm resitant to tackling poetry.  I do know that
there is an early style called Hesperic, (Ysperig) very heavy on
alliteration, mostly written in monastic latin.

There is a timeline on my webpage giving a rough outline of what is known
of Kemrese history from the departure of the legions to the modern day.  I
hope to fill it in as more information comes available.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
Life is short, so am I...