Re: Brithenig diphthongs (was: Yiddish influences in Brithenig)

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> I note that although {ei} occurs in Brithenig, {ow} apparently does not.

Mostly {ow} has disappeared from the language, historically the diphthong
shifts, often to {ew}, but to {oe} in certain cases.  It is influenced by
my pronunciation of English long O as a diphthong.

> I'm a bit puzzled on a couple of points, however (it may be my info is out
> of date).
>
> 1) In my downloaded copy of Brithenig I have:
> "iw,
>  yw   pronounced as in new (English pronunciation not American)"
>
> In south Walian English 'new' is pronounced [niw], and the diphthong [iw]
> is common in Welsh.  What's more, I find this sound _easy_ whereas I find
> [uj] (which Welsh & Brithenig both have) difficult.  So I'm rather
> surprised that Brithenig {iw}, {yw} is not [iw].

I misread the source material on the pronunciation of this diphthong.  I
shall correct it.

> 2) In my copy {ae} is shown as identical with {ai} and {oe} with {oi} (this
> is not the case in Welsh except among those to whom Welsh is a 2nd - or
> 3rd, 4th etc - language).  Is this intended?  If so, why does Brithening
> have this double representation for each diphthong?

It was 'convenient' to blur this distinction.  My background reading led
me to believe that even some South Walian speakers to not maintain this
distinction, so I let it pass.  I'll have to go back and read up on the
e-final diphthongs now.

Just when I think my update is ready, something else needs to be
corrected.  I know how the Prophet Zarquon feels!  But thank you for your
comments.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>

MAN, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many
accomplishments; still owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil
and the fact that it rains.
							   - Anonymous