Re: Breathanach (was Re: Hello!)

il di le satorun (mays le 2), Jeuffroy Eddy (Geoff Eddy) yscreus:

> Padraic Brown sgribhsith:
> >
> > il di le ju (aprils le 30), Jeuffroy Eddy (Geoff Eddy) yscreus:
>
> Is this what my name in Brithenig looks like? It's a lot better than
> Esp*r*nto!

It's what your name is in Kernu, borrowed from Old French.  I hesitate to
wonder about the E-o form, then!

> > In any event, do tell us all (or at least as much as you can) about it!
>
> OK then, here you are... I've enclosed a file summarising my first
> attempts as the Q-Celtic-style Romance I've been going on about. Most of
> it is derived from Vulgar Latin; obviously, if anyone wants it to fit
> into the Brithenig althistory, it would need considerably more
> contamination from Brithenig than it currently has. One case in point
> might be the final -o in the first person of verbs, which in the absence
> of subject pronouns would probably not have been lost.

Kernu retains rather more endings on verbs than Standard Brithenig does;
the first sing. included.  Although, it has changed to -u.

> I'd welcome comments and further input on this; if necessary, some of
> you with better knowledge of Brithenig could mould it into something
> more appropriate...

On first glance, I'd say that I like it; and that it's somewhat
reminiscent to the way Dr. Duffy, my third year Latin professor, an
Ulsterman, pronounced the Latin.

> A couple further points: there seem to be two slightly different
> dialects, "Ir" (western) and "Sc" (eastern); and this is nothing to do
> with Liotan, which is an entirely separate project altogether (although
> I've tried to avoid Liotan influence as much a possible).

Ah, well, we like dialects.  What do "Ir" and "Sc" refer to?

> Hoping it's interesting and/or useful!

Indeed; keep it comming!

> Geoff
> --
> [] Anna laughed with delight         <> Geoff Eddy, somewhere in
> Edinburgh.. []
> [] And my future was suddenly bright <>
> [] So full of plans                  <> "The more it stays the same,
> the     []
> []  - Pal Shazar                     <>  less it changes" - Nigel
> Tufnell    []

Padraic.