"Brithenig"; stress again

Padraic Brown wrote:

> > How do you pronounce Brythenig?  I'm guessing "Brittany."  !!!G
>
> Hm.  That's a good question.  My guess would have been ['brIthenIg], but
> if they're famous for chopping off bits, then ['britheni] might do.
> When the Kernow aren't otherwise pronouncing it [seja 'mista 'rista], they
> pronounce it properly as ['brIthenex]. ;^)

AFAIK written final stops are not deleted, so I say it [brI 'Te nIg]
on the Penultimate Stress assumption, tracking its English name
"Britannic".  Final "-f" almost always (always in verb endings) and
final "-r" sometimes (never in monosyllables, almost always in
infinitive endings) is deleted.

The "chopping off bits" refers to what has already happened: the loss
of all endings on nouns and adjectives.

BTW, I now note that French-style stress is really inconsistent with
what the Web page says about vowels, which are lax [@ E I O U] when
unstressed and tense [a e i o u] when stressed.  So there is a noticeable
stress.  I think we have to re-open this question....

--
		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (FW 16.5)