Re: The Federated Kingdoms

By the way,

> > >On another note:  the Channel Islands, though attached to the English
> > >crown, certainly speak something between Brithenig and Brzhoneg.
> > >The dukes of Normandy who became kings of England remained only dukes
> > >in the islands, and they have their own legislatures (true both
> > >*Here* and *There*).
> >
> > *Here* the Channel Islanders actually continued speaking Norman French
> > which developed its own way quite independent of mainland French.  The
> > language continued to be used until the early years of this century, I
> > believe.  How about allowing a little bit of Norman French to remain?

	And, let us not (surely not just on my say-so alone) forget the
Manx, who speak what has aptly been described as Irish with Scottish
pronunciation and (horrible!) English spelling.  Even though the language
almost died, it is recovering, and they, too have an old legislature
(Tynwald) that may well be the oldest in the world, Iceland
notwithstanding.  No Norman French, for they, like the Romans, apparently
didn't see much in the island, but Manx does pull in some English and
certainly has the power to take in some Romance, as well.

John, a Manxophile (? - term)