Re: The Wars of the Roses

il di le ju (aprils li 16) Jowan 'ap Jowan yscreus:

> I think I have figured out how the Wars of the Roses come out *There*.
> Nice Guy Richard of York supports his nephew's claims, acts as Regent
> until Edward VI is adult (grabbing plenty of gelt for himself on the
> way, to be sure), and then relinquishes power to become the King's Good
> Left Arm.  Edward's younger brother Richard dies of a flux of the bowels
> (or was it a surfeit of eels?).  Edward has only one daughter, Margaret,

I believe, considering the period, this would simply be a sufeit in the
usual way. ;-)

> whom he offers to James IV of Scotland.  Their eldest son James V/I
> inherits both thrones without opposition, to the relief of all concerned,
> including Cambria, which has been watching carefully (as it did in the
> time of King Stephen) and doing as little as possible.  "The Cambrians,
> throughout the war, did nothing in particu-lar/And did it very well."
> -- W.S. Gilbert.

What history book is this from?  Sellar & Yeatman mention in passing that
"...King Stephen ought not be confused with King Stephen, the only
(memorable) Hungarian king, of whom, being a Good Man a Good King and a
Good Thing, it was thought would make a very Good Saint.  For all of
that, he died of a surfeit in the usual way."

Neat solutions.  Having such a miniscule background in History, I
certainly couldn't do better.  Though I don't mind arguing a point every
now and again.  :-)

> --
> John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
> 		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.