Re: Which Easter?

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:

E ffelig basc a dy anc!

My own thoughts toward which Easter the Kemrese observe might turn out to
be neither.  The pre-Whitby Celtic Church preserved an older calculation
than that used by Rome and possibly Constantinople.  I think it had an
eighty year cycle rather than the nineteen year cycle that is universally
accepted.  The Cambriese rite still adheres to that anachronism, although
the introduction of the Gregorian Calendar in the early modern period may
have confused this difference further.

If anyone knows the method for calculating the Celtic Church Easter I
would be glad to know it.

And if anyone can translate the Welsh name for Good Friday literally,
Gwener y Groglith, I will be equally grateful.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
Life is short, so am I...