Re: Ill Dragun Rhys, Kemr in the age of AIDS

Padrig Bryn yscrifef:

> I think such clearly modern history will have to wait until we a) figure
> out where these phonomena came from, why and when; b) figure out what the
> impetus were for those events; and c) figure out how they are arrived at
> from our 5th cen. POD.  That's a lot of figuring.

All evidence is that HIV originated in Africa, and while the political
history of Africa may be different *There*, its virology probably is not.
We already know that the E.U. exists *There*, and that's a whole lot more
dependent on political details than the existence and spread of HIV.

What I really want to know about, and what *will* take a lot of figuring,
is the British Empire (same name *Here* and *There*, I think).
Either the U.S. expelled its Brithenig-speakers as Loyalists (improbable,
I think, since the F.K. was not yet in being), or they just happened
to settle only in Canada (improbable), or only in tiny numbers (possible),
or the U.S. was bilingual/bicultural from the beginning (most likely,
but *very* different from what happened *Here*).

We know that there are Brithenig speakers in the Southern Hemisphere,
probably both in Oz and N.Z.  Did Kemr participate in the punishment-by-
transportation model that made Australia what it is?  Probably; we know there
were plenty of Irish transportees *Here*, and presumably *There* as well.
So Australia might tend to be bilingual too, in something like Paraguyan
fashion (everybody speaks both languages), rather than regionally.
In N.Z. I think it would be regional, with different areas being settled
by Scots, English, and Cambrians.

> I'm sure Andrew had in mind a world not too dissimilar from ours for the
> Comro to inhabit; but there must indeed be certain canyon sized
> differences all the same.

Absolutely, and the present situation of the Empire would have to be one
of those.

> > 			ACH I FI!
>
> I would suggest VID and SIDA:

Sure, sure, spoil my joke, the only Welsh/Brithenig pun I'm ever
likely to devise.

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.