Re: "Cowan" and patronymics generally

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Raymond A. Brown wrote:

> Ye-e-s - I find it difficult to imagine [f] being dropped. I assume it's
> not so much the /m/ of /map/ which is dropped as the /v/ of /vap/, since
> initial /v/ is not uncommonly dropped.  Voiced fricatives have a habit of
> disappearing as anyone trying to follow Andalucian Spanish will very soon
> discover!

I think what has happened to Llewan is that fei- has been swallowed and -l
prefixed to Iewan with phonetic rules applied.  Similar to Price being
derived from ap Rhys.

> These nicknames varied, some were patronymics (e.g. Johnson, Thomspon), but
> others referred to trade (e.g. Smith, Carter, Wainwright) and color of
> complexion, hair or whatever (e.g. Brown, White, Black and even Green; and
> Welsh gives us "Gough" <-- Goch = red); some referred to locality (e.g.
> Atwell, Bywater, Underhill) and the origin of some surnames, e.g. Gotobed
> (Yes, pronounced 'go to bed') are lost in the midst of time.  I imagine the
> same richness of surnames are found among the Kemr.  (Andrew: Did the Kemr
> aristocracy use the Norman prefix 'fitz' to surname their bastards?)

Sort of like Jones the Spy....  'fitz' might have become used among the
aristocracy, but it would not be common or usual.  Early Welsh law made it
clear that a father was responsible for a child's upbringing and
legitimacy was not an issue.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
Life is short, so am I...