Re: Mormonides

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:

> Ooh, corny lesson dialogues with unlikely situations At the Train Station
> or At the Post Office!
>
> 	1. Pardon me, sir.  Do you have change for a two-bob-bit?, for I
> wish to purchase a train ticket.
> 	2. Why, yes, my good man.  Here you go.  I say, you're not from
> around here, are you?
> 	1. Why no, sir.  I am from [insert your country here].
> 	2. Well, sir, you speak top notch Brithenig.
> 	1. Why thank you, sir. ...

That is worth translating just for fun.  Maybe you should send it to the
Conlang list as a translation exercise.

Oh, and before I forget:

O ranndad uddath, o glardad asculltath,
llaesath-nu rhen bog rhen ia yscyr.

I think that's right.

> Yes: "Bickerson's New Brithonic Grammar".  It's got sections on letters
> and sounds; orthography; mutations (incompleat); and morphology (except
> conjunctions and interjections).  I haven't worked on it in months, so it
> doesn't yet show the changes that have been made.  There's also
> "Glossarium Britonum Linguae" published by St. Perran's University, which
> will presently be updated with all the new material collected from the
> Page, and words collected in correspondence.  It's nicely set up,
> Brithenig-English/English-Brithenig, in two columns, and gives parts of
> speech in the Brithenig section.  It's only two pounds nine and sixpence,
> so order yours today! ;^)

Amazon.com doesn't seem to have them.
> Was this the "let's see some more _irregulars_!" fellow?
The one and the same. I thought after I mentioned it that it was were
forwarding.  Curiously the message was forwarded from me as a single long
line rather than the paragraph I read it as.  I hope that it did not
confuse people.

About once a month I get a message from people appreciating Brithenig.  I
am more diligent in following them up now.  Interested people are always
welcome.  I have sent out feelers  to two people who made inquiries in the
past to see if they would be interested in joining this list.  Still
waiting for replies.

 If so, this
> should get us started on the next great frontier: irregular verbs and
> nouns.  There simply have to be some.

There are some but there should be more.  The 3rd conjugation with -s- in
the past (definate/perfect?) tense should add some more.

On a sadder note, I shall be away from this computer between thursday and
monday of this week and the following week.  For the last year my brother
has been diagnosed with cancer of the bowels.  An operation last year
removed the source but the cancer has spread through his body.  My family
are all gathering in our hometown of Invercargill for what could be our
final reunion.  Please remember us before the Divine Reality.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>