Uniates & alia (was: Arthur)

At 22:30 28/1/98, Andrew Smith wrote:
[....]

>Ah, I'm forgetting that scholarliness does not equate to success or
>genius, neither of which I claim, but serious and consistand application,
>that I'm proud of.

That's what I understand by scholarliness.  Alas, it does not necessarily
equate to success  :=(

[....]
>I will think about this.  There is also the Ambrosian Rite which is/was
>used in Milan.  I don't know if it still is.

..and the Mozarabic rite which was preserved in Toledo, I believe.  These
were isolated rites whose ancientness allowed their continuance.  I believe
they are still practiced. But they were/are confined to a small area (the
Mozarbic IIRC to certain chapels in Toledo cathedral) and well within the
Catholic heartland so there'd be no likelihood of confusion during the
religious turmoil of northern Europe.

>The Uniate churches (Eastern
>Churches in communion with Rome) continue to preserve their own practices.

I know - I've attended a Ukrainian rite Mass.

>In some cases Uniate parishes in America have left the Catholic church and
>joined Orthodox churches when the local hierarchy put pressure on the
>differences of practice, especially priestly celebacy which is not
>enforced in Orthodox and Uniate churches (including Cambriese Uniates).

Very foolish of the local hierarchy, I think; especially as even in the
western (or Latin) married men, who were ministers in Lutheran & Anglican
churches, are occasionally allowed to train for holy orders and are
ordained as priests.

I would dearly long to see a full raprochement between the Eastern &
Western Churches.

Meantime, yes there is certainly good precedent for the Cambrian Church to
retain its own rites & stay in communion with Rome but I feel some unusual
circumstance would make it a more likely scenario.

>> Written in Net English                 Humor not marked
>> No intentional misreprsentation of another's statements
>> No intentional ad_hominem remarks
>>
>> Gerasko d'aei polla didaskomenos (SOLON)
>>
>The Greek is SOLON, I know about Net English, and where 'Humour not
>marked' comes from, but I'm still trying to work out the origin of the
>middle two lines.

After two rather tedious exchanges with Bruce Gilson on AUXLANG.  He seem
to want to take every thing I said as a personal attack on him & kept
whinging that I deliberately misrepresented every thing he said.

Indeed the top line is also due the same exchanges.  He made petty remarks
about my spelling, although there typos enough in his letters [I did not
respond by telling him so - it's too petty].  And he entirely missed what I
& some others considered an obvious joke, said I ought to add smileys or
_say_ that humor wasn't marked, and has several times since said in replies
to others how bad I was to treat him so.

If you missed the exchanges, then be thankful.

>On another issue, I am considering restoring a negative construction _rhen
>di_ to Brithenig, based on the Welsh preposition "mo", when a negative
>verb is followed by an object.  I dropped it out of the language to avoid
>confusion with the Celtic genitive, and the I could never figure out if it
>should be used with predicates as well as object nouns.  Your thoughts?

Interesting - must ponder on it.

Ray.