Re: Kemrese Flag

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Padraic Brown wrote:

> Now how do we fit St. David, a Celtic cross, a dive-bombing dove, an eagle
> and a rampaging dragon all on one little flag? ;^)

That's a very 'noisy' flag!  Maybe we should settle it down and put all
the saints and animals back into their cages....I meant separate cages!

I would suggest that most modern European Flags are simple and essentially
uncluttered in design and I think the Kemrese National Flag should reflect
that.  (On the other hand the Royal Ensign should be a heraldic
free-for-all.)

I suggested the Dove of S. David as an alternative to Y Ddraig Goch
because it seemed to me to complement the flags of (adopted) national
saints used by the other British kingdoms.  But I accept Ray's argument
that the Dragon is a strong and potent symbol of Welsh/Kemrese nationalism
with a long history.  That shouldn't be lost and I suggest we favour that
in the design, but I would also suggest that we make Ill Dragun Rhys
distinct from Y Ddraig Goch so that sliders know when they are in Cymru or
Kemr.

Maybe the Irish Republic were wise in choosing a tricolour  (Don't even
think about it!)

Any other alternatives are still welcome.

I have Peter's address recorded incorrectly in my distribution list as
pcskye@mindspring.net instead of pcskye@mindspring.com.  I have changed
this in my address book.  My appologies to everyone if this has been
causing you some confusion also.  And my appologies to Peter if you have
been missing out on this discussion.

- andrew.

Andrew Smith                                  <hobbit@earthlight.co.nz>
Life is short, so am I...